Monday, August 6, 2012

Touch, fold, sort, pack, clean, repeat...

Due to a mechanical delay in Atlanta (that is a whole other story)- I arrived in Quito last Monday morning at around 4:00 AM. (pause)
Monday at 7:30 AM I began a 4 day packing adventure that ended with a challenging airport experience on Thursday evening where I checked 10 bags, and hand carried two bags, as I made my way back to US soil in the night journey from Quito to Atlanta to Birmingham. This one sentence summary would be what I call a massive understatement, of both the packing and sorting process that got me to the airport, and then the incredible miracles by God to allow me to actually check 10 bags in the middle of what the airlines call the "embargo season" in Quito's Mariscal Sucre Airport.
The Lord changed several minds that night in answer to prayer, and cleared a fog delay that had the potential to have me sleeping in the airport there with all that luggage.

As you know, (see the previous blog) for the temporary time's sake of those we love in the gospel, and those we are charged with leading well in the gospel, Vickie and I are transitioning back to Birmingham to engage further in some of the innate challenges of our older adopted children.

On Thursday morning, as I got up at 5AM to make sure that every final item had a time slot in the day before I left for the airport that night, I found out within a couple of hours of the alarm that Vickie's Dad had passed away in a nursing home in Florence, Alabama. 

Friday was a blur of sleepy arrival, unpacking, and preparation to share a gospel message in his graveside service on Saturday morning. One day in the book I hopefully can pen out, I will tell of the unique person that John Pickens was, and how his thinking shaped many people... I worked with John for 8 years, and was a son-in-law to him for almost 24 years before he passed away this past week.

After sharing on Saturday morning in front of John's casket, I was and am now more convinced than ever that the Gospel is the only comfort we have this side of eternity. Not that God gives things to comfort us, but God gave, and God currently gives, comfort to us, and He is all there is, or possibly if you want to split hairs you could also say that it is also His life in others that ministers to us as well. Nonetheless- it is all from Him...

Please pray for us as we continue this transition, for His name's sake and His glory's sake.
Blessings!
Chris


The LORD is near to all who call on him,
to all who call on him in truth.
He fulfills the desire of those who fear him;
he also hears their cry and saves them.
(Psalm 145:18-19 ESV)



1 comment:

  1. Over the past year you have all been on my heart and in my prayers so often. God has brought you to mind often at rather odd times of the day and night, even to the point of waking me up in the middle of the night to pray for you. I rejoice in the work He has done and continues to do through you. I hurt with you in the loss of Vickie's father. And my prayers continue...!

    ReplyDelete