Tuesday, January 10, 2012

3 way conversations

So yesterday I met for the second time with two Latin American men here at school about the upcoming Haiti mission. One of them, a sharp dressed and articulate gentleman with a political background and kids who are doctors or scientists, is mostly a Spanish speaker, and one of them is an outgoing businessman with a great sense of humor. So as I talked with my well dressed travel companion about how we cannot distance good deeds from the gospel there in Haiti, and how before and during this trip we need to seek God to show us how to display the gospel beside brothers and sisters there as we prepare for a later team to go, he began to ask questions...
Some questions were typical for a believer to ask who has not been on mission, but some questions struck me as those an unbeliever might ask. Either way, for the next hour the door was wide open for me to talk about the gospel in full detail! I answered questions, praying continually that God would work through my weak answers with the power of His Spirit. It was midstream of this conversation that it hit me how strong this picture of re-teaching looks at this moment in time. I realized with full force that everything I said to the bilingual brother was immediately being re-taught from English to Spanish in the Spanish only brother. It may usually take weeks or months for this message to pass from one to another but this was taking only seconds, so it pressed me more than ever that what I say better not be my opinions. When you have opportunity to speak of God, of what happens to lost people, and of the clear need for our salvation in Christ, but also for the incredible gift of a salvation that we can never earn, let it always be a Biblical gospel!
So next time you are in a 3 way conversation...what will they re-teach from your mouth?
Chris (and Vickie in Birmingham)

"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing greatness of the power may be of God and not from ourselves."
 2 Corinthians 4:7 NASV

No comments:

Post a Comment